The Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program is a proven health behavior change program to help you prevent Type 2 Diabetes.
The program begins with weekly core sessions offered in a group setting over a 6-month period. In these sessions, you’ll get:
- Training to make realistic, lasting changes around diet and exercise
- Tips on how to get more exercise
- Strategies for controlling your weight
- A specially trained coach to help keep you motivated
- Support from people with similar goals and challenges
Once you complete the core sessions, you’ll get:
- 6 monthly follow-up sessions to help you maintain healthy habits
- 12 additional months of ongoing maintenance sessions if you meet certain weight loss and attendance goals
- You have a hemoglobin A1c test result between 5.7 and 6.4%, a fasting plasma glucose of 110-125mg/dL, or a 2-hour plasma glucose of 140-199 mg/dL (oral glucose tolerant test) within 12 months before attending the first core session.
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more (BMI of 23 or more if you’re Asian).
- You’ve never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes or .
- You’ve never participated in the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program.